As you’ve probably noticed, your Facebook feed turned red last Monday when all of your friends, particularly those in the US or with US friends, including people you had no idea had an opinion on gay marriage, changed their profile pictures to a little pink or white equals sign on a red background. The symbol is a re-colored version of the yellow-on-blue logo designed in 1995 by Stone/Yamashita who declined to comment for this story and its been changed a grand total of once since then. Anastasia Khoo, director of marketing for the Human Rights Campaign is possessive of the image, which looks a little like a corollary to the Swiss flag.
And is she biting her nails over all the variations the internet has come up with? “I have to say, I guess when we decided to make this decision it was almost preordained—in for a penny, in for a pound,” she said, “and I’ve loved it. I’ve been so impressed by the creativity weve seen out there, even from people like Martha Stewart.”
Even George Takei has had a go.
Equality. The final frontier. twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/st…
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) March 27, 2013
Companies with links to the US will have to prove they are not simply shipping all data to the US, and this may prove impossible. The lack of oversight and control over use of the US PATRIOT Act renders the whole Safe Harbor agreement effectively meaningless, yet companies without such links will only have local legal leverage available as an offset to the risks posed by laws that effectively seek to bypass due process. Europe may be safer, but not safe.
Facebook remains tied to a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) settlement that “prohibits the company from changing privacy settings without the affirmative consent of users or misrepresenting the privacy or security of users’ personal information”.
Indeed, as of November 2011, Facebook agreed to bi-annual privacy audits for two decades as part of its deal with the FTC. At the time the US watchdog said Facebook must be clear about changes to its website, including providing a “prominent notice” to users.
The social network was told it should obtain “express consent” before a user’s information is shared beyond any privacy settings already established by an individual connected to Facebook.
In contrast, here in Europe, the office of Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner confirmed late last week that it was seeking “urgent clarification” from Facebook – whose European headquarters are in Dublin – about the changes.
As usual it’s the comments that make most articles on news sites in my opinion and this is no exception as DJL2 highlights the irresponsible ‘journalism’ at work simply running a press release as news.
“…after nine or 10 Martinis…works great”
DLJ2 – “that’s 20 units? nearly 3 bottles of wine?
fully enough to pose probable alcohol poisoning and risk of death then. with a proposed solution of a berocca under a sticky plaster?!
It’s really irresponsible journalism to just run with a quote like that in this article and not point out the health risks. Is this even an article or just a paid-for advertisement?”
As the Indie runs the following story/press release…
Christmas revellers have been offered a helping hand with an American hangover “cure” that claims to be second only to having an “intravenous stuck in your arm”.
The Bytox Hangover Prevention Patch, invented by the US plastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr Leonard Grossman, has gone on sale in the UK following its launch in New York late last year.
Hardly surprising that Cadbury recently owned by US mega company Kraft and now owned by another US corporation Mondel?z is now creating Halloween products.
Cadbury has finally started recognizing Halloween with its Cadbury Screme Egg, and these three Canadian TV spots for it—by ad agency The Hive in Toronto—are as spooky as ads for candy eggs will allow. They do a good job of showing off the Screme Egg’s special Halloween wrapper and green-and-white yolk (which looks a bit more like snot than they probably intended).
- IRIS is possibly the best invention ever. The less than 1 minute border entry should be rolled out worldwide! #
- three.co.uk are useless – order placed a week ago while in stock. Called today IVR hell then foreign call centre & out of stock! No delivery #
- @grahamix I'm surprised you even have a fax machine… in reply to grahamix #
- @BwanaKalulu it's for work – need to test one of their MiFi things 😉 They do do iPad plans though… in reply to BwanaKalulu #
- @faustshausuk so completely failed to see you whilst in Chi Town sorry about that – we are back Thursday 2 September for one night only! in reply to faustshausuk #
- @robertwrayuk that chewy stuff on the top is brilliant in reply to robertwrayuk #
- Tuesday is a write-off weather wise then! Rainy and cold 🙁 http://tweetphoto.com/25059624 #
- @stevemassart do you do any work these days? in reply to stevemassart #
- RT @aol: Live in the US? Want the internship of a lifetime? Apply to be the Ambassador of Lifestream! http://bit.ly/AolLifestream #
- @dbushe are you one of them? 😉 in reply to dbushe #
- @dbushe just checking! in reply to dbushe #
- wondering if I should risk solids yet after praying to the porcelain gods most of last night 🙁 #
- @robertwrayuk cheers – I went for dry toast 🙂 in reply to robertwrayuk #
- @derektroy are they not the same company different branding? in reply to derektroy #
- the more cats you have the more chance you have of being loved http://onion.com/bex56x #
- RT @ianjamesdavies: You need Safari to see it (for now), but worth Apple's HTML5 showcase is definitely worth a look: http://bit.ly/cOIjuW #
- How come you can't buy strawberry Ribena in cordial like you can the blackcurrant? #
- Why are BBC2 showing a programme about work on a Friday night? #
- @juter how on earth do you know he tweets? in reply to juter #
- loving the 'MyTubeTwittBook' phrase at the end of this BBC article on late night TV in the US http://bit.ly/5Yr3sq #
- yay to equal rights – Andrew's travel insurance covers me automatically too 🙂 #
- @seanthiggins don't forget to check that out… in reply to seanthiggins #
- http://twitpic.com/zpym9 – @seanthiggins I was referring to your earlier tweet to yourself… #
- I'm bored of the iPad / iSlate / iTablet / iSecret speculation now. Do news and Tech blogs have nothing else to write about? #yawn #
- Genius play. The little dog laughed. (@ Garrick Theatre) http://4sq.com/17kTeJ #
- Liking the jet lag vibe! (@ Jetlag) http://4sq.com/9NpCA4 #
- I said I wouldn't but I do #
- Having drink with Ms Goff (@ Met Bar) http://4sq.com/bDnaj1 #
- @kelly_clarkson have you checked out Sean's blog yet? Sergeant Clarkson of Homeland Security – genius! http://bit.ly/c1GvLz #
- if you have not read Sergeant Clarkson of Homeland Security – genius! http://bit.ly/c1GvLz you have not lived! #
- Does anyone know a good drag act that does private functions? #
It’s been a while since I got some decent spam.
This one is from a mr.hamad Samni and he says he has good news! I’m very excited at the prospect of lots of free money!
Good Day,Sir/Madam Please Read and get back to me
How are you today? Hope all is well. Please be informed that I have decided to contact you for a fund transfer transaction worth the sum of US$ 10.8 million dollars into your reliable bank account as the sole NEXT-OF-KIN to the foreign deceased customer of our bank (an International Billionaire French Businessman) who was killed with his entire family by PLANE-CRASH in Central England atmost 3 years ago. Since his death occured, no body have show up as his next of kin for the claim because the account is untraceable. Upon the investigation I carried out from his records, I found out that his foreign business consultant who would have trace the account died earlier before the deceased. Therefore, this is a confidential and sealed deal.For the success of this transaction, you should apply and act as the only existing NEXT-OF-KIN to the deceased which our bank will replace the deceased account information through proper documentation in position of your own account. This transaction is risk-free, it will never harm your good reputation in your society because no one can trace the account, and on the instant of the transfer of the fund into your account, the chapter of this transaction will be closed entirely.Note that in a business of this nature, the bank dont want to know your difference between the deceased country, religion or believe because our bank inheritance law is against that. So, it is a preference for us achieve this success without any problem.Please note down that once the fund get transferred into your account, you will take 39% of the total sum while the rest will be for me as I will arrange myself down to your country to take my share.I need your urgent response and here is my private mobile number for easy communication.Please reply if you can be trusted in this deal. For more adivce you can get back to me on my private mobile Number;00226 76 339 335.
Before I start, I must first apologize for this unsolicited mail to you. I am
aware that this is certainly an unconventional approach in starting a
relationship, but as time goes you will realize the need for my action. I cannot
imagine the surprise this will bring to you, but please be rest assured is with
good faith and intentions from a friend in dare need of your assistance to
assist me transfer the inheritance sum of US$8.5M (Eight Million, Five Hundred
Thousand United States Dollars) into your account or company’s account, in
which God will bless you for rendering a helping Hand to others.
My name is Barr. Richard Bilton, An Attorney at Law and Senior Advocate of Nigeria
(SAN).I am the personal Attorney to Late Engr. Anthony Douglas, A National of
your country, who used to work with Chevron Development Company in Nigeria.
Herein after shall be referred to as my Client. On the 21st of April 2006, my
client, his wife and their three children were involved in a fatal car Accident
along Sagamum Express Road. All occupants of the vehicle unfortunately lost
their lives. Since then I have made several inquires to the Embassy to locate
any of my clients extended relatives this has also proved unsuccessful.
After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to track his name over the
Internet, to locate any member of his family hence I contacted you. I have
contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property Left behind by my
client before they get confiscated or declared Unserviceable by the bank where
these huge deposits were lodged.
Particularly, the Bank manager where the deceased had an account valued at
about (US$8.5M) Eight Million Five Hundred United States Dollars has issued me a
notice to provide the Next of Kin or Have the Account confiscated within the
next 21 working days.Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives
for over some months now,I then seek your consent to present you as the next of
kin to the deceased since you are a foreigner so that the proceeds of this
account valued at (US$8.5M) Eight Million Five Hundred United States Dollars can
be paid to you and then you and me can share the money.
I’m amazed anyone reads these emails and believes them but anyway here is a a great 419 scam for details of this and other scams and the guys that scam the scammers checkout 419eater.com
From: Barrister Richard Bilton (ESQ)
Email: [email protected]
Subject: About Late Engr. Anthony Douglas
All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this deal through. I
guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will
protect you from any breach of the Law. For more details, once I have your
consent and trust then we can proceed immediately. Your anticipated response is
urgently needed. Please do get in touch with me on my private mail box above
Barr. Richard Bilton (ESQ) LLB (HONS) BL. Richard Bilton & Co.